Tenby's Greenkeeper (Circa 1888) Lloyd-George 1908

The following extracts are taken from J.J.L.Mabe's book, 'Tenby Golf Club - The First Hundred Years'.

 

Tenby Golf Club was officially affiliated in September 1888. However, a passage in 'Laws of Markets and Fairs' (1875) refers to Tenby court proceedings being adjourned whilst the Mayor and magistrates took time off to play golf. Therefore, it would appear the sport was alive and well in the area some years before.

 

Tenby was a founder member of the Welsh Golfing Union in 1895 along with Porthcawl (founded 1892), Swansea Bay (1894), Glamorganshire (1890), Caernarvonshire (1890), Borth - Ynylas (1885), Aberdovey (1892), Rhyl (1890) and Merionethshire.

 

The first club president was Sir Charles Philipps and at the first AGM in October 1889 the club had a total of 44 members.

 

In early days the monthly membership fee was five shillings (25 pence).

 

The first competition was held on October 25th 1888 over nine holes. It was won by Mr T A Rees who scored gross 51, nett 41 off a handicap of 10.

 

In 1890, £5 was invested in the first club trophy.

 

In 1891, Mr P. Nihook was appointed as the first groundsman/professional. Nihook was the first person to card below 100 shots for 18 holes (twice round the 9 hole course). He scored 78.

 

The first Open Week was in Easter 1892. The card was 4752 yards long (2376 played twice).

 

The first inter-club home match was against Swansea Bay in April 1893. Tenby won 15-13.

 

The 18 hole course was opened at the Easter meeting of 1907. Black Rock Cottage (purchased in 1904) was used as the club house.  

 

To the right are photos of Tenby's early greenkeeper in 1888 and below that one, a group in front of Black Rock in October 1908. In the group from left to right are, R Hutton Esq; The Right Honourable Lloyd-George; Mrs Clifton and The Rev J Morris (Penally) , near the old Black Rock Clubhouse. Lloyd-George owned a property in Tenby he used as a base when playing and visiting Tenby.

 

Tenby Golf Club,  The Burrows,  Tenby,  SA70 7NP
Telephone: 01834 842978  / Pro Shop: 01834 844447   -  Email us