John Voysey and Idwal David in same place as last year.

Derek Cole and Mick Whale were not available for the Trefloyne match this week so Idwal stepped up to rescue the day for the seniors. Everyone expected the sun to shine, despite the forecast, but it was not to be. Some of his influence still remains, however, since it stayed dry and even became warm as this local derby was played out at Trefloyne Manor.

Having recently played Glynhir twice Tenby Seniors should have been used to the grass but it seems that the advantage was still with the home side. That and the greens played a part in the home team winning the day. There was some consolation for Idwal, in that Mick Seal and Bob Forrest provided a comprehensive win over Pat Casement and Alun Williams, helped by the fact they were graciously allowed to go through the group in front.

The five and four win in this match was balanced by the five and three loss suffered by David Rees and John Richards who were up against John’s former teammates, Trevor Lewis and Rob Nixon. Knowing the course John played it well while Dave struggled with his putting. This allowed the home pair to make full use of the home advantage.

Stan Hudson chips up onto twelfth green

Chris Beecher plays his approach shot onto the fifth green

There was more hope when Peter Williams and Gareth Davies earned a half in their match against Glyn Latcham and Wayne Connett. Peter’s steady game linked to the fact that Gareth made the most of the shots he was allowed, put them in the position of winning the match on the final hole. Peter was down for five on the par four ninth when Wayne putted out, with a long curving putt, for four, to win the hole and halve the match.

The rest of the matches all went in favour of Trefloyne. Even Idwal and his partner, Chris Beecher, couldn’t add to the total. Their match against John Voysey and Brinley Hughes was a very close encounter with the advantage swinging one way then the other. The home pair took the lead on the fifteenth and refused to relinquish it as they finished four and two up.

 Keith Hubbard, at home on this course, had a good front nine and his partner Stan Hudson had a good back nine. Even so they failed to overcome the challenge from Mike Allen and Meurig Evans in another very close match. Home advantage told with a one-hole victory for Trefloyne.

Gareth Davies practices his swing before driving first tee

Jim Martin, another who knows the course well, and Ross James found themselves four down after nine holes in their match against Dave Allen and John Hammond. They managed to claw their way back to two down but failed to make any more ground on the home pair. Ross was kicking himself when he missed a short putt on their fifteenth hole, which would have brought teams level. They eventually finished three and two down.

Allen Watts had his work cut out in his encounter with Dennis Holloway and Derek Jones. Giving away thirteen shots he had to work hard to keep level on most holes while his partner, Des Stone, just wasn’t able to make the most of the shots he was allowed. They ended up four and three down.

The last four-ball to come in was the match in which Alan Jones and Roger Scholfield played Graham Harrison and Colin Rowe. They did open up a lead after two holes and they also managed to par holes two and eleven but those were the highlights of this match. Colin and Graham took advantage of the shots they received from Alan and went on to win by three and two.

Idwal reported that this year the result was six and a half to one and a half in favour of Trefloyne with the match at Tenby still to be played later in the year. Not only did Trefloyne win the match they also scooped all four raffle prizes.