David Rees driving second watched by Keith Hubbard

Following last week’s match against Glynhir a party of sixteen Tenby seniors returned to the Glynhir course to take part in the Centenary Challenge Cup Competition. The sunshine they enjoyed last Wednesday continued, enabling the event to take place, with none of the heavy showers and rain that had been forecast. Prior to the tournament the clubhouse was buzzing with the meet and greet session. Acquaintances were renewed, bacon butties and coffee consumed and the line-up and starting tees studied.

Carmarthen Seniors had initiated the cup competition in September 2007, when their club joined the elite group of clubs celebrating 100 years of golf. Since then clubs have joined and clubs have been unable to field a team. This year there were four clubs participating, Glynhir, who were this year’s hosts, joined by Tenby, Carmarthen and Haverfordwest. Unfortunately Cardigan seniors were unable to field a team. The club had arranged for a shot-gun start with each of the teams fielding eight pairs and each club playing all of the other participating clubs.

Having played the course last week Tenby seniors were quite familiar with it so expected to be comfortable with the greens and fairways.

Idwal supervised by Alan Sayers on the second tee

Derek Cole had chosen Roger Barton as his partner this week and they faced the Glynhir pair comprising Peter Williams and Lyn Evans. Things did not go in their favour and they ended up six and five down.

Also facing a Glynhir partnership was Mick Whale and Peter Williams. Unfortunately, they too lost out as Gordon Elliott and Eddie Bowen made the most of home advantage to win by two and one.

Stan Hudson and Steve Sutcliffe looked to be a good pairing but even they could not provide the captain with any points. They had to accept defeat from the Carmarthen pair, Chris Smith and Graham Williams, by four and three.

Things were not looking good for the Tenby team as even more partnerships were reporting in as having lost. Among them were Keith Hubbard and David Rees who lost out to Byron Williams and Robbie Ridge from Haverfordwest by five and four.

In a very close and competitive match, David Blackmore and Robin Hagley were hopeful of finishing on top as they faced the final hole against Clive Frankton and Dick Cross from Haverfordwest. Unfortunately, it was the ‘Harford pair’ that stole the limelight by a single hole.

Allen Watts with James Griffiths and Tony Reyland at the start of the competition on fourth tee

Was there going to be another white-wash for the Tenby team? Not on this occasion. It was only a half but enough to make sure that at least there was point on the chart for Tenby. Allen Watts and Des Stone were involved in a very tight struggle against James Griffiths and Tony Reyland from Haverfordwest and found themselves two down with three to play. They managed to win two and halve one of the last three holes so helping to save face.

This was followed up with two wins to add to the total. Idwal David was partnered by Alan Sayers as they faced the challenge from the Carmarthen pair, George Laidlaw and Elwyn John. They must have been doing something right since they completed this challenge, winning by four and three.

That left the last pair, Phil Carpenter and Ross James who were matched against Jimmy Mayo and John Bevan from Carmarthen. Three to play and this match was all square and all to play for. The Tenby boys ‘done good’ to win two of the final holes and finish two and one up.

Following a sumptuous meal in the clubhouse the Glynhir Club captain announced the results and presented the (substitute Cup) to the winning Captain. (Carmarthen had forgotten to bring the original trophy with them.)

Results:           1st      Glynhir                18pts.

                         2nd     Carmarthen        12pts

                         3rd     Haverfordwest    10pts

                         4th     Tenby                      7pts

Next year it is Tenby’s turn to host the competition. Look forward to that.