Derek Cole and Bernard Davies congratulate each other on a rain free day

One or two seniors – or was it just one senior did not know the result of the match played last week and complained that he had to read and re-read the report to count the games won and the games lost to find out. Perhaps he was not listening when the captains stood up to address the throng and announce the result.

Newport captain, Bernard Davies, in his words of wisdom to the gathering stated that this year’s result was better than last year’s when they lost by eight and a half to a half. Idwal was out with his captain this week so he witnessed Bernard’s opening drive sail into the out of bounds area. At that point both he and Derek harboured thoughts of an easy day on the links but it was not to be, at least not until the final nine holes. Bernard and his partner, John Viner, traded hole for hole as they  progressed on the outward run and it was all square after nine holes.

Roger S. Bob F. and Alan G. watch Nick C. drive the 10th

On the return holes Derek and Idwal began to pick off the opposition and managed to stay ahead in a closer match than was anticipated. They eventually run out winners by three and two.

Stan Hudson and David Rees were sitting in the clubhouse looking quite pleased with themselves. They had faced Dai Lindquist and Glan Rees and when asked how the game went Glan admitted that they had been given a golfing lesson in a match which finished on the fifteenth.

Mick Whale looks determined as he takes his second shot on the eleventh

Allen and Alan were paired up to face Maurice Weavers and Phil Johns. Allen, Watts that is, was rather relieved to have a more competent partner this week and was able to relax more in his game. The other Alan, Jones that is, enabled him to relax and play his natural game. So successful were they that this match finished on the seventeenth with the home pair three holes up.

Before going out this week Derek had to make frantic last minute phone calls to find a replacement for John Hancock. John was trying to take a short cut down the bank onto the practice green when he slipped and ended up with a very painful knee injury. There was no way he could hit a ball, let alone walk the course. Fortunately, Keith Dolman came to the rescue and made a quick dash to the course to support Peter Williams. He could be invited again since he and Peter completed a demolition job on Gethin Griffiths and Roy Bishop finishing five holes up with three to play.

Phil Carpenter on his way to three points

Just ahead of this match was the pairing of Phil Carpenter this week accompanied by Keith Hubbard. Phil came in with a smile on his face, asking to be paired with Keith again. He had earned himself three points to set against his deficit of ten as they managed to complete their round one point ahead of Dai Hunt and Alan Rogers.

Roger Barton appears to have recovered from his ‘shank’s pony’ but even then he and the steady Ross James had a close match against Pete Milne and Tony Morris.  This match went down to the wire and was decided on the eighteenth hole with a one-hole win for Roger and Ross.

Robin Hagley and Mick Whale were in the same position in their match against Alan Jeffrey and Martin Rosser. It was another nail-biter which was only concluded on the eighteenth green with a one-point win.

Steve Decosimo escaping the rough on the 4th

Steve Decosimo, ‘fresh’ from five day’s golf and a long journey back from Hampshire, was encumbered with Des Stone as his partner this week. For most of this match they found themselves in arrears – one hole down for much of the day as the majority of holes were halved in a very tight struggle. They did manage to gain a one-hole advantage when Barry Onions inadvertently hit Mike Pragers’ ball and gave up the hole. They won it back on the eleventh and pressed ahead on the twelfth. Another win on the fifteenth increased the advantage, which was reduced to one again, after sixteen. There was a chance to halve the match if they could win on the last. Not this week, Des duffed his second shot and Steve put his second shot in an almost impossible position on the verge of the bunker. It was game over and a win for Newport by two points.

The other game to handed to Newport was the one between Roger Scholfield and Bob Forrest up against Alan Griffiths and Nick Cowland. This was another close one with the match being conceded on the seventeenth hole.

The wins and losses were put to one side as old and new friends enjoyed the after-match conversations and look forward to the return match later in the season.

PS: John Hancock has been admitted to Withybush and is due to have an operation tomorrow (Wednesday 9th April) for damage to the knee and tendons. Good Luck John and we hope you are back with Seniors before too long.