Mick Whale in smart casual announcing the win

Mick Whale and Phil Carpenter flanked by Anthony Ward and Alan Hire on 1st tee

Had Tenby’s match against Derllys Court been played in late October, when the clocks go back, then Mick Seal would have arrived on time. Had he paid attention to his Emails he could also have saved everyone running around asking, ‘Have you seen Mick?’ There was no need to panic. He arrived, just in time, after a quiet cup of coffee at home, to take up his revised starting time and help his partner Barry Neale to a convincing win over Phil Rogers and Rob Lewis.

In laid back, confident style they set about mastering the course and ended up with a three and one victory. In their original number five slot on the list, they would have been up against Nicky Goldsmith and Ninian Davies. As a result of a re-organisation, Ross James and Bob Forrest stepped up to face them instead. They did not fare so well. They found themselves three down after three holes and they never really recovered. They did manage, on a couple of occasions, to claw back to all square but they were never able to gain an advantage. As a result they lost by one on the last hole. As a consolation Bob did win a prize in the raffle.

Alan Sayers hides behind his swing on the 8th fairway

Way out in front was acting captain for the day, Mick Whale. He was accompanied by Phil Carpenter. As Derek Cole had led by example at Haverfordwest on Monday so Mick carried on the example set by his captain and helped his partner to a satisfying win. Up against Anthony Wood and Alan Hire they lost the first two holes. A couple of holes later and they were back to all square. The match continued as a nip and tuck affair with each pair enjoying the lead at various stages. Phil, who was driving well, scored a birdie on the fourteenth to get them back to all square. Mick’s contribution was a birdie on the sixteenth to put them two up. A half was all that was needed to give them the two and one win.

Stan Hudson and Alan Sayers were involved in a tight match as they tried to overcome the challenge from Phil Mountjoy and Hugh Thomas. They were either one up or all square. Alan was still recovering from his disappointing performance at Haverfordwest on Monday so it took him the first nine holes to get into gear. They won the first and held that lead until Hugh parred the fifth to level the score. Alan came into his own as they went shot for shot on the back nine. Stan’s birdie three on the eleventh gave them the lead and the two of them birdied the fifteenth to, again, go one up. A good finish from Alan enabled them to maintain a one-hole advantage on the last.

Roger Scholfield was back in action and in more positive mood as he and Keith Hubbard sneaked a win over Phil Jones and Colin Walters. In the course familiarization process, they went two down after three holes. They recovered from this and opened up a two-hole lead. Managing to maintain a lead they were one up starting the eighteenth. All that was needed was a half and the win was theirs. Roger obliged with a six-foot putt on the final green to halve the hole and win the match.

Allen Watts and Jim Martin alongside Nick Argue waiting to tee off on 6th tee

Allen Watts had a new partner this week. Jim Martin regaled him with facts and info about West Ham as they traversed the course. They were another pair to win by one hole. Nick Argue and Brian Newcombe made them work hard for this narrow victory as the visitors shared the workload. Supported by Allen, Jim played his part on the front nine as they held their own (bit like West Ham really). The struggle continued on the back nine with Allen making sure that the opposition did not open up a lead. Holes ten to fifteen were all halved. Tiredness crept in as Jim’s driving went a bit haywire but they managed, just, to get ahead and close out the match on the eighteenth.

Steve Decosimo and Des Stone thought they were in for a repeat of the Carmarthen debacle when they lost a two-hole lead on the final run in. In a good front nine they opened up a three-hole lead over Delme Williams and Graham Bebb. The home pair won the ninth to ease the situation before winning the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth. This gave them a one-hole advantage. The match was rescued when Steve and Des won the fifteenth and, again, the seventeenth. A slender one-hole advantage was restored, and maintained, as Steve closed out the one-hole victory with a half on the last.

The final pair in, Robin Hagley and John Richards walked into the clubhouse with beaming smiles. They were delighted to report to their Vice-Captain that a four and three win was the result in their match against Winston John and Barry Davies. This delighted Mick Whale as this was the second time, in his charge, that the team had won an away match. Will it continue next season when he picks the team? To rub salt in the wound Tenby members won all the raffle prizes as well as winning the match by seven to one.